our history - Mariners Club


Tel +852 2368 8261                       11 Middle Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon                    E-mail general enquiry
Fax +852 2366 0928                             Hong Kong, SAR China                                        E-mail for room reservation

Go to content

Main menu:

our history

our history & virtual tour

1863

A Sailors' Home was founded in Hong Kong when a hostel building was provided at West Point by a number of local firms. The firm of Jardine Matheson took a prominent part in this St. Peter's Church was built in the compound & initially was used by locally resident Europeans and was later to become the Seamen's Church.

1884

The work of The Missions to Seamen began in Hong Kong and in 1885 permission was given for the Chaplain to use St. Peter's Church in the Sailors' Home compound.

1891

The first launch 'DAYSPRING" came into service   (look at the boat since then)

1910

The Missions to Seamen residential seamen's hostel hopened at Johnston Road.

1925

The Trustees of the Sailors' Home incorporated by Hong Kong Ordinance No. 5 of 1925

1930

Incorporation of the Sailors' Home and The Missions to Seamen.

1933

The Sailors' Home & The Missions to Seamen opened on 23rd April, 1933 at 40 Gloucester Road, Hong Kong

1941

Extensive damage suffered during the occupation. This was made good and the building completely furnished from local resources at the cessation of hostilities

1966

Site clearance for a new Mariners' Club began. Foundation stone laid on 21st January 1966

1967

The Mariners' Club was officially opened 30 May, 1967 by H.E. The Governor, Sir David Trench.

1969

Apostleship of the Sea joined in to form an Ecumenical Ministry at the Mariners' Club.

1973

Building commenced on the Mariners' Club, Kwai Chung, to provide facilities for crews of Container Ships and Tankers.

1975

Official opening of the Mariners' Club, Kwai Chung 14th April 1975 at 2 Container Port Road, Kwai Chung.(leaflet during the years)

1979

The Danish Seamen's Church joined the Ecumenical Team at the Mariners' Club.

1981

The Official Opening of the Danish Room, Mariners' Club, Kwai Chung on 28th April, 1981 by Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

1982

Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Kent visited the Club on 28th October, 1982

1985

On the occasion of the centenary of the Mission To Seamen’s presence in Hong  Kong, a substantial refurbishment at both club was undertaken.

1988

Her Royal Highness, the Princess Royal visited the club on 17th September 1988.

1990

Her Majesty, Queen Margrethe of Denmark visited the Mariners' Club T.S.T. on 17 November, 1990

1994

Her Royal Highness, the Princess Royal visited the club at T.S.T. on 10th March , 1994.

1995

The German Seamen's Mission joined the Ecumenical team at the Mariners' Club.

1997

Her Royal Highness, the Princess Royal visited the Mariners' Club at Kwai Chung on 29th January 1997.

1997

The Governor the Right Honourable Christopher Patten and his wife Lavender visted the Mariner's Club at T.S.T on 16th April 1997 (sticker during the years)

2007

The renovation of 4/F & 5/F into 22 ensuite bedrooms.

2008

A substantial refurbishment at the Danish Room, Mariners' Club, Kwai Chung

2011

Mrs Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, GBS,JP, Secretary for Development visits Mariners' Club ,Kwai Chung

2011

1st June 2011, after nearly 20 years as Senior Chaplain in Hong Kong, The Rev'd Peter Ellis hands over the keys to his successor The Rev'd Stephen Miller outside St. Peter's Church at the Mariners' Club Tsim Sha Tsui

2011

The ICSW International Seafarers' Welfare Awards 2011

2013

The Sailors Home and Missions to Seamen 150th Anniversary in Hong Kong - 13 November 2013

Back to content | Back to main menu